Lugana di Sirmione

The historic suburb of Lugana di Sirmione is situated east of Colombare, between the lake and the hinterland that has become the heart of wine production of the same name.

It is also connected to the old town of Sirmione by a lakeside promenade that continues to the park and beach of Punta Gro. Lugana offers a wide range of tourist accommodation and restaurants.

The focal point of this community is the Church of Santa Maria Immacolata in Lugana, built between 1910 and 1912.

Today Lugana covers a territory that includes the village of Rovizza, the ancient estate of the Rovizzi counts. Here you can visit the small church dedicated to Saint Ursula, once the aristocrats’ chapel, and the Monumento all’Alpino, a testimony to the sacrifice of many of Sirmione’s Alpine soldiers who served in this corps during the wars.

 

History

The ancient Lugana or Ligana or Lucana or Litana forest stretched to the south of the Sirmione peninsula.

Because of its strategic position, it was the scene of numerous events, including the clash between Constantine and Maxentius in 312 AD.

Perhaps it was here in the forest, in an unspecified place, that Pope Leo the Great in 452 AD convinced Attila, leader of the Huns, to return north.

The place names in this area, such as San Benedetto (St Benedict), San Vigilio (St Vigilius) and San Martino (St Martin), are reminders of the agricultural reclamation work carried out here by the monks.   The forest had almost disappeared by the beginning of the 16th century, as it was colonised and exploited as agricultural land.

The clay soils of the area are still cultivated today and the vineyards produce the famous Lugana wine.

 

The map of Sirmione

Share

This site requires the use of certain categories of cookies for several reasons. To get more information on the categories of cookies used and limit their use, see the ookie policy.